Re: [LUG] Simple serverside mail filtering...

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 01:15:58PM +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:01:03 +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> > Grant Sewell wrote:

> As for procmail... I can't get my head around something... I retrieve my
> messages with getmail, which can send them (individually) to procmail for
> processing.  What I've read of procmail suggests that once it's made a
> decision as to where it goes, it sends it to your "MTA" (exim, in my
> case... I think).  But I don't use my exim for Internet email, only for
> local stuff... well, I do use it for sending via SMTP, but that's about it.
>  If I were to get procmail to send it to getmail, would getmail not then
> send it to procmail, which'd send it to getmail which'd sent it to
> procmail... ad infinitum?
>
> Or am I missing something rather fundamental about how this all works?

I use the following:

-   Fetchmail (which also handles IMAP) to retrieve email. This hands the email over
-   Procmail to filter it and for some email to send it automatically to the others.
I also use procmail to convert html emails to text. This then files the email into
my email boxes for
-   Mutt to read it
-   Exim4 to send

I am still learning how to use Procmail but my recipes are slowly getting longer.
Yes Thunderbird does all the above in one program. I much prefer the seperate
programs

--
Henry
Tue Dec  4 14:41:26 GMT 2007