Re: [LUG] Simple serverside mail filtering...

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 13:01:03 +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>> Ideally I would like to be able to filter the messages into their
>> respective folders at stage 3.5).  I've had a look at procmail, but it
>> looks like a bit of overkill for my needs.  Getmail seems to have
>> filtering capabilities, but I can't seem to get it to work.
>
> procmail is *the* application for this.
>
> Okay, it's not that friendly to start with, and fiddling with hidden
> text files is not an ideal solution, but it is incredibly flexible and
> reliable.
>
> There are some alternative front ends to it - like webmin (I know webmin
> is unfashionable but I have no idea why) which you might like to look at.

Webmin's unfashionable?  When did that happen?  I recommend it to everyone!

As for procmail... I can't get my head around something... I retrieve my
messages with getmail, which can send them (individually) to procmail for
processing.  What I've read of procmail suggests that once it's made a
decision as to where it goes, it sends it to your "MTA" (exim, in my
case... I think).  But I don't use my exim for Internet email, only for
local stuff... well, I do use it for sending via SMTP, but that's about it.
 If I were to get procmail to send it to getmail, would getmail not then
send it to procmail, which'd send it to getmail which'd sent it to
procmail... ad infinitum?

Or am I missing something rather fundamental about how this all works?

Cheers.
G.