Re: [LUG] Bouncing spam...

Neil Stone wrote:
> Am I the only one thinking that having a "postmaster" account that
> bounces what the MTA thinks is spam is a daft idea ??
>
> I recently recv'd an email, to which I replied.. my reply was bounced
> from a specific email address.. the instruction was "reply if you think
> this has been blocked in error" so I did... my reply was bounced, again..
>
> This morning I emailed "postmaster@xxxxxxxx" which was bounced.. with
> the same email...
>
> GRRRRRrr...

Oh hell yeah.  I used to (pretty much) run the AUP team where I worked,
doubling up as Postmaster and it was *such* a pain in the backside when
a domain not only blocked normal mails from our customers but also
blocked postmaster@.  This isn't exactly what you describe but it's
still an example of the same bone-headed idiocy.  On occasion our whole
IP range was blocked which was insane.  I had to go onto a dialup
(28.8K.. ughh), create a Hotmail account as
'whateverISP_tech@xxxxxxxxxxx' and send their postmaster a 'why the hell
have you blocked our entire IP range you MUPPET?!?' type email.  Of
course the actual content was a LOT more diplomatic and professional ;)

Mind you they're not the only ones who don't know what they're doing.
Whenever we found spammers faking our accounts names but using open
relays we emailed the network admin of the offending network asking them
to close the relay.  I remember one reply I received from 'Vice
President, Network Technical Services', which read 'How do I do that?'
I gave up around that point and went for a coffee :)

Kind regards,

Julian