Re: [LUG] Very OT: [Fwd: FW: Important info for dog owners]

Simon Waters wrote:
> I always thought the interesting science surrounded why almost all
> mammals don't need to eat fruit but we (other primates and guinea pigs) do.

A little gene therapy could allow humans to synthesise ascorbic acid
from sugar and other carbohydrates but the avoidance of fruit is only
going to worsen the problems of obesity.

There must have been some evolutionary advantage to being able to
survive on a mixed diet that included fruit that allowed mutations that
dropped the gene to thrive. Yet that doesn't explain why all humans can
get scurvy - there may well have also been a penalty to retaining the
gene in which case gene therapy could reveal a whole new "anti-scurvy"
disease.

--

Neil Williams