Re: [LUG] Credit scoring (was Re: Identity theft (continuing topic))

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 11:34:55AM +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> I don't use credit as such* but I can it can still be upset by these things. A
> bad credit mark can prevent my debit card being renewed!!

Unaffordable credit can prevent you from having a debit card in the
first place.

If there was no way to check a person's credit rating fewer people
would be trusted with a debit card.  Or a bank account.

I speak as someone who many years ago lost their bank account due to
my own carelessness with my personal finances.  I do agree with you
that it is rather frustrating that companies decide whether to give
bank accounts or debit cards based on credit rating.  It is
difficult to understand how something with no credit facility (e.g.
a bank account with no overdraft facility, and a debit card to go
with it) would require it.  There is probably a reasonable
explanation.

Yes you can get limited bank accounts that do not require a credit
check, but they tend to be VERY limited, for example they may have
no debit card and/or cannot set up direct debits.

However, none of that is the fault of the credit scoring agencies.

Anyway you need only operate a limited account for 6 months or so
before you can start to get out of it again.  Within a year of
sorting out my aforementioned problems I had 3 credit cards (used
sensibly).

> What I'm saying is they are providing a service to other people that can
> seriously screw MY life up and I have to pay to fix THEIR errors

Not their errors - the errors of other users of the service.  I
think it's pretty rare that the error occurs with Experian or
whatever, more usually with the company feeding data to Experian (or
whoever).

Since they are only recording what a company has told them, think
how it would be if those records were not shared.  You would never
know that some company has made a mistake or that a loan has been
fraudulently taken out in your name until the debt collectors
contact you!

> - or even to find out if thats where the problem might be.  I
> don't care how 'reasonably priced' it may be its still wrong.

For the reasons I've stated, I put it in the "less harm than good"
category.

Cheers,
Andy