[LUG] ***SPAM*** Re: The missing tax discs

On Fri, November 23, 2007 20:28, Martinus Scriblerus wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2007 12:47 PM, James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>
>> > As a nontechie, am I missing something?
>> >
>> > If the details were in a database then all it would require is for
>> > someone to delete 3 fields: ie 2 minutes of tech time plus computer
>> > time to remove the fields from 25m records
>> >
>> > £5000 seems a bit extreme
>>
>> I imagine they'd have to write some sort of proposal, submit it to EDS
>> for a quote, get the quote approved by all the necessary people, get
>> the work done and pay EDS, get EDS to do the job properly this time,
>> pay them again and then extract and send the data.  £5k seems quite
>> cheap, really.
>

> I work for a certain civil service department that has been quite busy
> this week...
>
> Every so often we get a new release of our software. There is
> invariably a delay while it is installed, then a few days more while
> it is corrected. During one of these intervals I took a call from
> somebody in the IT business.
>
> I told him how long until we could access his account. He said that if
> he had told a client the system would be down for so long he would
> have been laughed out of the building. What I should have told him was
> that when our contract was negotiated we didn't have that luxury.

So.. what has the recommendation been for anyone that happens to have had
a letter (like me) informing them that their data was on one of the 'MIA'
discs ?

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.
                -- Dylan Thomas

Disclaimer:

By sending an email to me addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am "the intended recipient";

2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself
to; in particular, I may quote it on usenet or publish it online;

3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company;

4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may
be included on your message.