Re: [LUG] OT: XBOX Media Centre

Quoting Terry Hill <telbonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> The softmod is also fairly simple.  It requires a copy of something
>> like Splinter Call, an XBOX compatible memory card with XBOX Action
>> Replay (so you can attach the memory card to a PC to upload the memory
>> card image) or a supported USB pen drive (not every one is supported!)
>> and an XBOX to USB cable.
>
> Does the softmod require a boot disk/special boot procedure each time
> you fire up the box
> or is it a once done, always done solution?

It's a once done, always done solution (IIRC the earlier versions of
the soft mods stopped working if you ran a game that used XBOX live,
but as far as I know it will work with any game).

>> > Has anyone got this up and running?
>>
>> Yup.  Where abouts are you based?
>
> Barnstaple, but I've got a car and would be up for a trip probably :)

Okay, I'll mail you off list.

>> Forgot to add, you don't need the dev kit unless you want to develop
>> software, but without a licence from Microsoft it's also illegal.
>>
>> Still, you can run Linux on the XBOX (it's so satisfying seeing Tux on
>> the XBOX).
>
> Ahh ok, have you got a binary build of the media centre I could cadge
> a copy of? - it seems the downloading of binaries is not advised on
> the main site; as far as it reads, you need the dev kit to compile the
> source.

I have it somewhere.  It gets regularly updated but it is available
from t'internet (usually a search through Google finds it).

>> If you do decide to try this, you'd be worth either attaching the XBOX
>> to your existing network or fitting a really big hard drive to store
>> things on.  Actually both would be a good idea so you can store media
>> and also run Linux on there (for extra geek points).
>
> Both sounds like an option, I've got a lacie network drive, but it
> would be nice if the xbox could run bittorrent as it takes a lot less
> power than my main pc.

I don't see why it won't work if you boot the XBOX up into Linux.  You
could in theory run pretty much anything (although it'll be a bit slow
as the XBOX only has 64MB memory and a 733MHz CPU).  Still it would
probably run something like Torrentflux.

> Thanks for your help Rob ;)

No problem.

Rob