Re: [LUG] OT: XBOX Media Centre

Quoting Terry Hill <telbonic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have an ailing XBOX sat under the TV, which gets a little use from
> time to time, but mostly sits there pretending to be dust protector
> for the shelf it's sat on.
>
> I discovered this a little while ago :http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
> - has anyone in the list tried this out?  I don't record tv (hell, I
> hardly watch tv) but do have large collection of media on a network
> drive.

Yep, I run it on my XBOX and watch pretty much ALL of my media on it.
It's a great application.

> I really don't want to get any greyer while trying to get myth tv up
> and running, as I don't need to watch/pause/record live tv and frankly
> it's a huge pain in the butt (ok, I'm too thick - I have tried and
> failed).
>
> As old Xboxes are cheap as chips these days, I think I could even buy
> one to play with if using the above kills the ability to play xbox
> games forever.

£30 from the likes of Blockbuster & Game :-)

>> From what I gather, I have to get it modded, either using a software
> bios, or get it "chipped", and also need to get hold of the xbox dev
> kit.

Yes, you'll either need to run a 'Soft Mod' or install a mod chip (or
flash the BIOS chip on the machine which is a bit complicated).  The
hardware modification is fairly simple if you're used to soldering
although with the clamp down on chips you might be hard pressed to
find one.  Not to mention there are about 6 revisions of the XBOX
motherboard.

The softmod is also fairly simple.  It requires a copy of something
like Splinter Call, an XBOX compatible memory card with XBOX Action
Replay (so you can attach the memory card to a PC to upload the memory
card image) or a supported USB pen drive (not every one is supported!)
and an XBOX to USB cable.

> Has anyone got this up and running?

Yup.  Where abouts are you based?

Rob