Re: [LUG] Pruning discovery!!

Tom Potts wrote:
> Behind a tatty rose I have found a Sky satellite dish!!! This may explain
> regular but confused calls from sky!!!
> Is there an easy way to point it at the freeview satellite and anyone know a
> decent PCI card so I can go 'OOOH look lots of definition no content!'
> Tom te tom te tom

I use a skystar 2 PCI card (cost about £40). The easiest way to install
it is to do a new install of a distro that supports satellite cards,
which most do these days, as this sets it all up for one. If your distro
don't then (you're probably a competent hacker) you need to compile the
modules into the kernel, just klick the switches in the kernel config
set-up app.

MythTV is a bit of a beast to set-up and kinda large if all you want is
a desktop TV app. Kaffeine does the job very well. If it detects the
drivers a DVB option appears. Also I think it is the only player which
actually has options for different satellites and scans for channels.
The other apps, mplayer, klear, xine etc, all work from channel lists
(you need to know the satellite frequency data and then generate from
the command line via a linuxdvb app called szap), which is not great
when sky changes the settings. Kaffeine is a VAST improvement over the
absolute rubbish piece of windows software supplied for viewing.

I can get all the standard terrestrial channels except 4 & 5. That's
BBCs 1 to 4, ITVs 1 - 4, film 4. Also there are a few OK channels
amongst the other dross, Al Jezzera (English) is IMHO a good TV
equivalent of the World Service.

The satellite you need is Astra 28.2 East. There is a gizmo which I
think you can get from screwfix which detects satellite signals. Looks a
bit like a light meter. Otherwise you need to examine someone's dish
with a compass and one of those perspex thingies for measuring angles we
used to get at school.

Hope this helps.

Simon

--