Re: [LUG] Pruning discovery!!

Rob Beard wrote:

> There's always KnoppMyth for the faint hearted or LinuxMCE (which IIRC
> is based on Kubuntu/MythTV and a couple of other addons).

Good point.  MythDora, too, come to think of it.

> I had a play
> with MythTV and found it to be really good.  Unfortunately my DVB-T card
> would only pickup the BBC Freeview channels whereas I get a perfect
> signal on the Freeview box.  I think it might be the card being too
> sensitive.  I'll eventually have another go next year when I get a HD TV
> with PC input.

I think that quite a few DVB-T cards aren't sensitive enough or are too
picky in some other way.  Or perhaps STBs are just made to be far more
forgiving of poor signals -- I know it used to be the case that an STB
worked on our old aerial, but the DVB cards I tried were getting 90%+
bit error rate.

I shouldn't really be considered a good test case though -- we're 30+
miles from the transmitter with nothing even approaching what might be
described as "line of sight".

> By the way, what sort of radio stations do you get?  Is it the Shoutcast
> stations or BBC and UK local/national commercial radio too?

"Proper" radio :)  I don't listen to the internet-based stations because
I really don't have enough bandwidth.  These are all the radio stations
that turn up in the channel scan, I think:

mysql> select channum, name from channel where channum >= 700 order by
channum;
+---------+----------------+
| channum | name           |
+---------+----------------+
| 700     | BBC Radio 1    |
| 701     | 1Xtra BBC      |
| 702     | BBC Radio 2    |
| 703     | BBC Radio 3    |
| 704     | BBC Radio 4    |
| 705     | BBC R5 Live    |
| 706     | BBC 5L SportsX |
| 707     | BBC 6 Music    |
| 708     | BBC 7          |
| 709     | BBC Asian Net. |
| 710     | BBC World Sv.  |
| 711     | The Hits Radio |
| 712     | Smash Hits!    |
| 713     | Kiss           |
| 714     | heat           |
| 715     | Magic          |
| 716     | Q              |
| 717     | oneword        |
| 718     | SMOOTH RADIO   |
| 721     | MOJO           |
| 722     | Kerrang!       |
| 723     | talkSPORT      |
| 724     | Clyde 1        |
| 725     | Premier Radio  |
| 727     | Virgin Radio   |
| 728     | Heart          |

Being able to record stuff from R4 and R7 so I can listen to it at my
leisure is the dog's danglies.  Excluding the likes of "Lunar Jim" and
"Bob the Builder" (not doing this results in being woken up by a
screaming four year-old bouncing on my head -- same as usual, but
earlier) I think I record more radio programmes than television.

James