Re: [LUG] Pruning discovery!!

martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> point it at the freeview satellite
>
> Isn't Freeview through the aerial via the traditional analogue ground
> based transmitters?
>
> Sky have a free-to-view service but I think you'll need a Sky receiver
> plugged into the dish.

Earlier this year I put up a 80cm dish and a tuner card and played
around with the free-to-air satellite channels available in the English
language.

The results were very disappointing. What was available and unencrypted
was about one quarter of what you can get with terrestrial digital (ie,
freeview) (Astra 1, 2 and Hotbird). My conclusion was that Sky have the
UK Satellite market completely sewn up and unless you use their gear,
forget it.

I use a DVR on my windows pc which has two freeview tuners and that
works very well and has an impressively wide range of channels with no
encryption or card/cam required - worth doing if you want to record a
series of a program in one click, and watch back on a laptop or tv out
at your leisure. Sadly when I researched DVR's, I had a lot of problems
finding reliable and well featured software that supported my cards for
linux. Windows at the time had several good free options so I had to go
that route. Shame and I hope it's changed now.