Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

On Friday 16 November 2007 00:31, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > You can actually provide DRM stuff using open source code without
> > disclosing how to circumvent it 'at the source code' level. Think GPG
> > keys etc. But like 'closed source' DRM its just not worth the effort.
>
> surely the program needs to decode the content and if you can modify
> the program (as would be the case with open source) you can send the
> output anywhere you want.
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/ seems appropriate today!
Whatever you do can be circumvented which is why its so 'amusing'.
You must remember that closed source isn't - I still have access to the binary
code that runs my machine and thats readable source code.
Any open source DRM can be made as secure as any closed source DRM.
Just imagine doing bits of MD5 (say) around areas of code - you don't have to
say where - so that if they're modified you know and don't play (send the
stream). That way you can in theory write open source code that will maintain
you data secure until it gets to the audio and video drivers. At which point
its my computer and I can intercept if I choose.
In Vista that have spotted this and decided its not my computer and you cant
watch HD unless you have signed data and in the future the DRM will be done
on hardware. Result massive increase in costs and inconvenience - you already
cant watch you own HD videos on your own machine unless you pay to have it
signed!
 It wont be long before people find out how 'closed source drm' video cards
work and release drivers for virtual machines to emulate them  so you can run
vista on a virtual machine and it will think its secure. Or someone works out
the signing and hence opens up the DRM from there.
However this stage, as an electrical engineer I can intercept and obviate the
DRM.
If I can't intercept then I can always use a video camera and a microphone to
intercept.
Basically the DRM is pointless. Yes you can have open source drm but it only
takes money out of the pocket of the honest people.
I hope this explains the futility of what the BBC is trying to do - they
should realise once you release something into the wild its in the wild - and
give us a cross platform streaming system using open standards and not put
the stuff they don't own the copyright to on the web. They cant keep it safe
no matter how hard they try.
Tom te tom te tom