Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

On Monday 19 November 2007 01:18, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > As for how to 'break' opensource DRM I think its not quite a simple case
> > of modifying the source code.
> > The code is open source. But the private keys aren't. You can use the
> > code to generate a library/program based on the private keys. You have to
> > distribute/make available the source code along with your special keyed
> > binary but you don't have to distribute  the keys - not even under GPL3.
> > Its as secure as DRM gets.
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> hadn't thought of it that way. i presumed the content provider would
> provide you a key with said content. wouldn't the source code tell you
> how te extract the key from the binary? or maybe with a small mod you
> could have it look for the key in the distributed binary?
You can use the encrypted 'code' to exchange keys dynamically in an encrypted
way so no one can get them easily unless they have a quantum computer!

> i find it difficult to imagine how it's possible but i was curious to
> see if anyone had tried it. it seems sun are having a go and there's a
> product called pachydrm which is apparently available now.
I was wondering about the implications of something like this for those silly
terrorist laws. You have data on your machine that you have watched/read etc
but you've never had the keys to decrypt it yourself as they were held
elswhere.....
Tom te tom te tom