Re: [LUG] OT Computer will not start.

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:14:57 +0000, peter
<peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am having problems with a computer which sometimes starts and
>sometimes just sits there (No mouse or Keyboard lights, no screen (not
>even the BIOS  start up whatever that is called) no nothing).
>
>When it does start I am told that it freezes up after a few minutes.
>
>I will know more when I have tried playing with it for a bit, but has
>anyone any obvious idea at a solution.
>
>Thanks in Advance.
>
>Peter

Hi,
I spent 3 hours at work on Friday helping fix a machine with the
same problem :-) (LED's on ethernet ports lit up, but we could
not ping the machine. Hard disk and CD-Rom LED's flashed at
powerup, but no POST screen)

Dead 5V rail on PSU - swapped psu's with another machine and it
worked again. (Donor machine offline till next week, but it was
not as critical)

(one of a pair of 'headless' Redhat boxes buried inside a
computerized vision system and controlled by a third box, which
made diagnosis a bit more tricky)

best regards
Dave
--