Re: [LUG] Rsync compression vs link speed

Hi Simon,

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 12:27:53AM +0000, Simon Williams wrote:
> There must come a point when compressing the data takes longer than it
> would to just send it over the link as is- the question is what ratio of
> processor speed to link speed would this happen at?

To be sure, you have to measure it every time since it depends
greatly what you are transferring of course.  However I tend to use
the compression feature to reduce the bandwidth use, not to
necessarily make it faster, so only tend to use it outside the LAN
on links less than 10Mbit.

> Minimum processor speed is 1Ghz for the machines concerned.

If I didn't have time to test it both ways I'd err on the side of
not using it, in your situation.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB