Re: [LUG] Penzance Day

Quoting james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello
>
> Very Interesting (Rowan and Martin closing line).
>
> Short version. I was the only member to turn up (illness took one away
> from us and another had apologised). 5 people discussed and saw
> GNU/Linux in action. 1 took away a U 7.10 Live disc. 1 had FSW loaded on
> her computer (in for repair) by Stephen.

That's promising.  When we had a stand at the Exeter Fun Day I don't
think we gave away one CD although plenty of people picked up
leaflets.  How I see it, if one person converts, they could then tell
others about it who could then convert to Linux and again then tell
other people.

> I exchanged advice with another visitor, who makes reconstituted
> computers available with a Linux installed (some of his clients would
> welcome help learning e.g. Gimp). He is on the edge of adopting FSW more
> widely in his setup (50 IIRC computers on a MS network - all nicely
> networked using some new fangled MS administrator which seems to be
> offering freatures Linux always did). It would be good if someone would
> volunteer to show him how a Linux server works in a similar setting.

What sort of Linux server do you mean?  Sort of a replacement to a
standard Windows server?

> He recognises that the learning needed might make him vulnerable. He would
> alswo I am sure be interested in work on Linux server and thin clients.

Maybe we should do a meeting on thin clients, especially with Tom B's
great experience of them (and I've done bits with LTSP setups).

> Another had a great time beavering away for ages with a Mac mini dualled
> with Ubuntu

That sounds good, do you know if it was a PPC Mac Mini or an Intel based one?

Considering that the latest release of OS X doesn't seem to support
anything lower spec than about a 867MHz G4, there's bound to be plenty
of Mac users who are either upgrading to a new Intel Mac with old
G3/G4 machines that can be reused with Linux, or users who can't
afford to upgrade and maybe interested in Linux (although hopefully
they haven't got a Mac like my G3 iMac which I started installing
Edubuntu server on last night, left it over night and it was STILL
installing this morning).

> - apparently some ancient user had made it upgrade contrary
> to specific instructions (Ooh I'll click here - it looks useful) and
> trashed the booting - he was advised by Stephen, his assistant (both
> keen G/L users) and the above Windows administrator, all fully versed
> with command line stuff, and eventually ftp'd his backup to an ecafe
> computer whence it was saved to cd. He ended with my original advice to
> reinstall, given Ubuntu said don't upgrade that way and all efforts to
> get back his GUI failed.
>
> The final visitor clarified his problems as not being able to see the
> BBC video stuff and to install DSL on an old computer via cd even though
> the BIOS said he could. The Windows administrator came in useful again
> (perhaps I should call him the Linux restorer) by offering to install on
> his hard disk at his centre in Penzance.

I wonder if he could have done with a boot floppy?

> Lots of talk and surprises re how fast it was on my laptop to open
> writer, spreadsheet and impress from the same menu bar and place images
> from my various files and how easy it was to select, download and
> install a programme from the repositories - I chose Tux paint! Some of
> the politics convinced one at least.

Thats good.

> I have somewhere up to 4  new members of the LUG and willing helpers for
> advertising for the next date in 2 weeks. I will address advertising and
> extend the range. More willing helpers to do this would be good.

I'll see if I can get down for the day on the next event.

> Perhaps next time members could consider it for us as well as visitors?
> I know more have promised for the 4th and there will be interesting
> stuff on display. Especially as a couple might come back and profit from
> advice from more experienced members.

Is the next event 4th November?

Rob