[LUG] Penzance Day

Hello

Very Interesting (Rowan and Martin closing line).

Short version. I was the only member to turn up (illness took one away
from us and another had apologised). 5 people discussed and saw
GNU/Linux in action. 1 took away a U 7.10 Live disc. 1 had FSW loaded on
her computer (in for repair) by Stephen.

I exchanged advice with another visitor, who makes reconstituted
computers available with a Linux installed (some of his clients would
welcome help learning e.g. Gimp). He is on the edge of adopting FSW more
widely in his setup (50 IIRC computers on a MS network - all nicely
networked using some new fangled MS administrator which seems to be
offering freatures Linux always did). It would be good if someone would
volunteer to show him how a Linux server works in a similar setting. He
recognises that the learning needed might make him vulnerable. He would
alswo I am sure be interested in work on Linux server and thin clients.

Another had a great time beavering away for ages with a Mac mini dualled
with Ubuntu - apparently some ancient user had made it upgrade contrary
to specific instructions (Ooh I'll click here - it looks useful) and
trashed the booting - he was advised by Stephen, his assistant (both
keen G/L users) and the above Windows administrator, all fully versed
with command line stuff, and eventually ftp'd his backup to an ecafe
computer whence it was saved to cd. He ended with my original advice to
reinstall, given Ubuntu said don't upgrade that way and all efforts to
get back his GUI failed.

The final visitor clarified his problems as not being able to see the
BBC video stuff and to install DSL on an old computer via cd even though
the BIOS said he could. The Windows administrator came in useful again
(perhaps I should call him the Linux restorer) by offering to install on
his hard disk at his centre in Penzance.

Lots of talk and surprises re how fast it was on my laptop to open
writer, spreadsheet and impress from the same menu bar and place images
from my various files and how easy it was to select, download and
install a programme from the repositories - I chose Tux paint! Some of
the politics convinced one at least.

I have somewhere up to 4  new members of the LUG and willing helpers for
advertising for the next date in 2 weeks. I will address advertising and
extend the range. More willing helpers to do this would be good.

Perhaps next time members could consider it for us as well as visitors?
I know more have promised for the 4th and there will be interesting
stuff on display. Especially as a couple might come back and profit from
advice from more experienced members.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk