Re: [LUG] "Bloody' Microsoft

Richard Brown wrote:

> Basically the xp licence refers to the xp disk and vice versa and so
> when I went to validate it wouldn't let me. It kept saying this is not
> validated, do you want to validate. Click yes and then it would say
> this product is already validated. Endless loop of mindless nothing.

Yep, I had the same problem with my other half's ThinkPad.  I didn't
want to install all the extra IBM crap they chuck on the image, I just
wanted to do a fresh install.  Wouldn't work though even with a valid
image.  Was this system built from parts or from someone like Dell, HP etc?

> Doom to Microsoft for the ultimate in rubbish. I buy a licence but I
> can't use it on another hard drive in the same computer because they
> are a bunch of prats.

Oh yes, they make it too hard for people who want to use the software
legally.  I'm pretty certain if you use a cracked copy it doesn't come
up with all this junk (but then isn't legal).

> And after all this the said mate won't install Linux. He would rather
> go and buy another ms product!

Oh well, he'll be £60 upwards out of pocket then, unless he could
somehow contact the computer manufacturer and ask for a recovery CD.

It's sad to think people pay for this sort of service.  You'd think in a
sane world people would be happy to go for the free option and save a
few quid (this is of course assuming they don't have a specific reason
to use Windows, for say an application that won't run whatsoever under
Wine and doesn't have a Linux alternative).

Rob