Re: [LUG] Ubuntu / Kubuntu 7.10 - have you taken the plunge ?

On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 20:12 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Ray Smith wrote:
>  >
>  >Ah, sound like the problem I mentioned I had.
>  >I have the exact same card but it installed with the ati driver by
>  >default
>  >instead of the radeon driver.
>  >Easy to fix by booting into safe/recovery mode from the grub loader >then
>  >changing any module driver loaded to radeon and defining your refresh
>  >manually.
>  >I just put a # in front of everthing I didn't want.
>  >
>  >You might get away with the new menu entry that lets you choose your >card
>  >and test the configuration. As I mentioned in an eralier post,the test
>  >seemed to work but then left x completely screwed up until I changed
>  >xorg.conf
>  >
>  >Nano is your friend.
>  >
>  >Ray
>
> Ahh right.  I ended up installing Feisty.  As it's not my machine I
> didn't want to have to do much to get it running.  Funnily enough Feisty
> works fine.
>
> Now running Ubuntu Gusty (32-bit) on my PC.  Seems much quicker than
> Feisty even with Compiz running, although that might be to do with the
> fact that I haven't got much on the drive.
>
> I noticed too that Inno Virtual Box OSE (the open source version) is now
> in Debian Unstable and also in Ubuntu universe.  I was going to install
> the non-free version but I don't need USB support or RDP support so the
> OSE version ticks all the boxes.
>
> Rob

Rob,

I have just installed Virtual Box and am very impressed. With a bit of
tinkering, I do have USB support (and I think this is the O/S version -
I installed it previously using Adept Manager). So far, I think it is
better than VMWare. The best thing is that you can opt for the size of
the virtual drive to grow (which is quite useful when Windows is
installed !!!). It seems faster as well.

There is an extensive article in last months Linux Format magazine about
how to configure it. Do you get this as you may find it useful ? If not,
I could scan and send it to you.

Viv