Re: [LUG] ubuntu

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 19:48 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:

> > Actually no, it was when BT released Surftime, I paid something like £6
> > a month for off peak free internet access, it was great having a
> > connection from 6pm until about 8am and then all weekend.  Saying that
> > though, it did tie the phone line up somewhat!
> >
> > I'm downloading Ubuntu now.  I think the mirrors are pretty loaded, I've
> >   opted for the Bit Torrent method of downloading, at least that way I
> > can do my bit and give some bandwidth back.
> >
> > I was surprised too how many versions there are!
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Yeah I tried to downlaod edubuntu earlier,  and get a prediction of
> something silly like 30 + hours so stopped it
> normal download time is  2 - 3 for an iso,  not 10  x that
>
> Paul
>
> --
>
> Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
> as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org
>
> Events
> 18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
> 20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
> 25th October 2007 - Meeting Paignton
> 28th October - Penzance Computers meet
> 11th November. Penzance Computers meet
>
> details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
>
> visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug

I decided to try it out anyway.
At the moment am downloading debian.

What does that tell you !!
So far my monitor switches off while its loading because teh refresh
rate wont default to 60hz and my lcd blanks out even though it can cope
with 75 once its loaded.
I have a radeon card but it set an ati once installed. when I changed it
it went haywire then I had to start in safe mode and use nano to change
the xorg config file and all the refresh resolution to 60hz manually.
No dvd layback wa spossible even though the beta product was supposed to
install it automatically according to the review I read.
Add remove programs didn't resolve it and I solved it by scouring the
internet.
Wi-fi still doesn't work DESPITE having an rt61 module picked up and
loaded. iwscan can find several routers in the street and iwconfig lets
me set ssid and channel but wmaster tells me I have no valid device.
iwup tries to initialise but wmaster0 is not valid hardware and so
cannot get a proper dhcp address. DAMN. If I had got that to work the
wife would have used it. I managed to import all her pictures,files and
music into an account and set up her internet.It works with the network
cable in but will she put up with the flashing light on the router all
night. nope !

On the plus side. After X was sorted out no lock ups so far. Just gonna
put debian on a spare partition and pay with that for a while.

May I recommend the free xosl boot loader btw. no problems with multiple
operating systems over the lat 8 years and very easy to configure and
run with windows 9x,xp,vista,grub & lilo.
Oh yes 40 mins to download gutsy.
Ray