Re: [LUG] Beginner Linux training sessions

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Further to Trish's e-mail about training courses, I wonder if it is
> something we could look into running.  I'm thinking maybe covering the
> basics of Gnome/KDE which should hopefully be distro independent to a
> point.  The only issues I can think of is getting a suitable location
> and getting a couple of machines there (although I guess some of the
> visitors may have laptops which they could bring along).
>
> What does everyone think?
>
> Rob

Sounds good to me,  I would go with the pre-installed option,  that way
you know each one looks the same,  there is nothing worse than having a
different screen to that in a printed manual with screen shot,  it
confuses people.

I think something like this could prompt the local schools / colleges to
start taking gnu linux seriously and may be start offering similar
courses,  especially if there is a lot of interest,  but that is long term.

Lets see how things go next Thursday at the Paignton meeting,  its
another venue we are trying out (so not sure on the power socket
situation), but we have internet access which is handy.   We have 3
venues now in different parts of Paignton,  the old monastery is still
available for a paid for event.   If you want to cover anything at that
meeting,  then its only 8 days to discuss anything,  if we are meeting
up we could use it to focus on a specific topic,  any ideas.  I know
there are some ideas on  topics on the dclug site,  based on previous
requests and discussions on the chat room.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
18th October 2007 - Ubuntu 7.10 release date
20th October 2007 - Lug clustering meeting.
25th October 2007 - Meeting Paignton
28th October - Penzance Computers meet
11th November. Penzance Computers meet

details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug