Re: [LUG] Moving to new ISP

Viv wrote:

> Also, excuse my ignorance, but, what are the benefits of having a static
> IP ?

So one can provide services to others.

The common case is one wants to run ones own email or web server, which
one can't (sensibly) do from a dynamic IP address, because no one will
know where to send the email or point the web browser.

Some folk use dynamic DNS services to try and do this sort of thing with
dynamic IP addresses, but for the reliability most folks want from
email, that isn't usually a good idea.

Beyond that we find it useful at work to restrict access to SSH to known
IP addresses, so that we get slightly less rubbish in the log files.

The downside is your on-line activities are easier to track, since they
always come from the same IP address.