[LUG] GNUPG - me or them?

Strange one...

Discovered I had no keys suitable for encryption (only signing).

Added a sub-key for encryption.

Tried to send to the key servers.

This isn't working for me;
keyserver  hkp://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de

This is working fine;
keyserver  hkp://subkeys.pgp.net

Did something change with the first?

Everything else seems fine, loading
"http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de"; gets me various random
keyservers, of various degrees of maintenance, who claim to provide hkp
access. Yet it always hangs at sending or receiving a key, any key, not
just the one I changed.

Yet I successfully received a key from "random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de"
earlier using hkp.

Is the list perhaps poorly maintained now? Seems odd, never had an issue
before which trying a different random server didn't fix. Or is it just
me (I suspect it must be the later - but have no idea why - router bug?).