Re: [LUG] working with A level students in a Microsoft Academy

james kilty wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 22:09 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> http://simonwaters.technocool.net/test.swf
> Is it just me or is the rendering of the text poor? The Capital I has 6
> sawblade points on it.

On my system the quality of the rendered text in Gnash in the browser is
exactly the same as the quality of the text in the original OpenOffice
Impress document.

I have subpixel smoothing and full hinting, after much fiddling my font
rendering seems to be as good as I can get it.

After much pondering, and using a glass of water as a magnifying glass
(thankfully Faye didn't see me, or she'd think I was toasting the
computer), I can confidently say;

This font is rendered as well in GNASH as it is in any application
renders any font on my box.

I can not find an ideal rendering on my LCD with subpixel hinting, and
fonts which take advantage of it. Perhaps I should have bought a decent
graphics card.

I see a slight effect, as if red pixels are lit on the top slope of the
italic capital I, but I see the same effect rendering Oblique capital
'I' in Bitstream Vera Sans in GNOME Edit, so that must just be my my
system and not the software itself.

So in summary, if it isn't rendering as well as any other text on your
machine, either the software you use isn't working right, perhaps it
isn't antialiasing the text correctly, or your eyesight is better than
mine, or you've got use to a much better font rendering experience that
I have (very possible - my eyes aren't the sharpest for these sort of
things).

I also noticed all my text renders a LOT better than the splash logo in
Debian Iceweasel, the text of which isn't antialiased as far as I can
tell.... yuk.