Re: [LUG] and yet another reason not to use PDF's

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 11:38, Julian Hall wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > As for comparing side by side - html will allow you to do that -
>
> Or just open the same document in two separate instances of Acrobat Reader?
its not practical  to properly read them like this - you have to click between
them as you generally cannot see all of both.
see http://www.100297.itsosbroadband.co.uk/Paperless/Formatting.html for
further ranting and example - open links in new window.

> > I cant understand why we insist on re-inventing the inefficiencies of the
> > paper world in the so called computing era
>
> Familiarity.  The non-computer users want something they recognise and
> some (a lot?) of them are unwilling to learn new ways even if the new
> ones are proven to be better.  It's a comfort zone issue.
This is the problem. There is no progress without disruption. No disruption -
no progress.  The MS office approach has stopped useful computer development
in its tracks.
'I can write a word document and do a small excel spreadsheed so I can run
your office computing for you'
Pah!
Office Software - and PDF's - are a new form of one way encryption for your
data.