Re: [LUG] and yet another reason not to use PDF's

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 09:46, James Fidell wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > I agree - for Paper Documents - its lousy on a screen*.
> > However if, as someone else said, you want your paragraph in a certain
> > font then you have to embed all the fonts in your document - that ends up
> > with a severely bloated document.
>
> My recollection of a "seminar" I attended many many years ago, certainly
> before most people had heard of PDF and probably before a lot of people
> had heard of HTML, was that the entire point of PDF was that it should
> render exactly the same way as the originator intended irrespective of
> the medium.  That's why it's necessary to embed fonts etc.  It's as much
> concerned with presentation as content (in fact, I think I'd probably
> argue that it's *more* concerned with presentation than content).
Almost invariably about presentation and not about useful content.
All that glisters and that!

> A corollary of this is that there are a whole range of display devices
> which are wholly unsuited to displaying PDF because they just don't
> provide the necessary functionality.  Some authors actually don't care
> about that because it's more important to them that the document should
> render exactly the way they require it to and their attitude is that if
> you can't view it by some method that allows it to do so, tough.
>
> That said, I don't think it's a valid criticism of PDF.  On the other
> hand, if people are using PDF where it's important that the content
> should display on any device, I'd say they're probably using the wrong
> format.
I've had the misfortune to have to read 1000's of pdf's - not a single one
needed to be PDF. Oh! Except (perhaps) the one that showed what PDF could do.
PDF has its place - its just not as a communication medium on the internet.
> I generally find a lot of people recognise the difference and
> provide both PDF and HTML versions of documents to allow the reader to
> use whichever is appropriate.  There's possibly an argument that if a
> document renders sensibly as HTML then there may be no need for a PDF
> form, but actually sometimes I find PDF easier to read on-screen than
> HTML.
>
> > And if you want me to read a paper formatted document send it to me in
> > paper form. Why should I have to pay to kill a tree to read your
> > document. You're not microsoft you know!
> > * why should I buy a huge screen so I can make sense of your documents?
> > Your not going to be able to read many PDF documents easily on the Eee
> > but the same information in an HTML document will be legible to many.
>
> I think that may be a personal preference thing.  I have a 1280x1024
> display, not large by any standards, and read a lot of PDF documentation
> on-screen.   The last thing I recall printing out (a couple of years
> ago) was hundreds of pages of technical documentation for a VoIP->PSTN
> interface where I wanted to compare pages side-by-side -- something I'd
> not have been able to do on-screen no matter what the distribution
> format.
A lot of the technical documentation I read comes in PDF's and has to be
printed to be read usefully. The contents/index links to page numbers -
invariably out of step with the 'page' numbers. I'm just reading a 142 page
document and its impossible to find any cross references on screen.
As for comparing side by side - html will allow you to do that - unless of
course you pointlessly force page widths on people in a way that modifying
style sheets on the fly cant easily overcome.

I cant understand why we insist on re-inventing the inefficiencies of the
paper world in the so called computing era.
Tom te tom te tom