Re: [LUG] understanding error messages

On 10/8/07, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed sane-utils and the commands worked. It identifies the scanner
> correctly.
>
> I then get the same error as before on loading xsane.
>
> using scanimage (not root) I get
> "[snapscan] cannot open firmware
> file /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin"
> "[snapscan] Edit the firmware file in snapscan.conf
> "scanimage: open of device snapscan:libusb:001.004 failed: Invalid
> argument" (I used a different usb port)
>
> How do I edit the .conf file?

scanimage -L works as root? , can you scan an image using just
scanimage as root? It would suggest if you can its all a USB
permissions problem. You might not need firmware for your model so
that might be a redherring.

It might be as simple as you need to add yourself to another group on
the system. do you need to be in the scanner group? Just checked my
usb scanner devices and they are all group scanner, but that might be
because I have saned installed.

In anycase do you have /dev/scannerX listings and what user and group
owns them. Eg plug in canner and do a "ls -l /dev/usb/"

Robin