Re: [LUG] please take this and have 5 years in jail!

Tom Potts wrote:

> I've just sent my MP a file and told him its encrypted and he could now get 5
> years for not being able to tell the pigs the decryption key.
> Talking of which - if I encrypt a file using someone else's public key I'm in
> the doo-doo too!

Unless Mr Plod can demonstrate that you must know the key, or
give fairly compelling evidence that you do, surely any prosecution
should ultimately fail because presumption of guilt is in
contravention of the ECHR?

(Of course, anyone appealing on the grounds of contravention of
the ECHR is probably considered a terrorist anyhow and will
therefore be locked up without trial and have the key thrown away as a
matter of course.)

It could be interesting, should a prosecution come to court, for the
defendant to arrange for an encrpyted email to be sent to the counsel
for the prosecution, or even the judge, and see how they react to being
requested to decrypt a message from a suspected terrorist/paedophile/
whatever.

James