Re: [LUG] please take this and have 5 years in jail!

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 09:35, Dave Berkeley wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2007 09:23:15 Tom Potts wrote:
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/ripa-decryption_keys_power/
> > If I send you some encrypted data and you accidentally read the message
> > (ie save it to your hard drive) and you don't give the police the
> > decryption key you don't have they can bang you up for 5 years!
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> This started with the RIP act 2000. Note that is a year before the 911
> attacks. The implications are particularly serious for banks etc. Releasing
> one key for a criminal investigation will expose any other data in the same
> store.
>
> It spawned this back in 2004
>
> http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/phonebook/
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
I've just sent my MP a file and told him its encrypted and he could now get 5
years for not being able to tell the pigs the decryption key.
Talking of which - if I encrypt a file using someone else's public key I'm in
the doo-doo too!
Tom te tom te tom