Re: [LUG] Dummy domain names and other DNS questions

Hi Simon,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 02:31:58AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Sure I can delete the search line- that's fine. But as soon as my dhcp
> lease is renewed it comes back. The router has to be told to stop giving
> out blank domains. The question is what domain should it be giving out
> if I don't own one?

What is the problem with just inventing a non-existing TLD like
.localnet?

The roots will receive queries for it unless you also have it
authoritative on your resolvers, but this will only be a tiny number
of queries.

If you don't want to do that, maybe you could invest in a domain
name?  Sub-$10/yr is not a lot for the continuity, especially with
the weak dollar.

Failing that get a free domain name and use that?  eu.org offers
free subdomains, and there must be plenty of others too.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB