Re: [LUG] Dummy domain names and other DNS questions

Simon Waters wrote:
> Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:12:29AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
>>> Are blank domains allowed under the dns/dhcp specifications? If not, is
>>> there a recognised 'dummy domain'?
>> example.{org,net,com}, or "invalid".
>
> They are intended for examples, and do resolve, so aren't ideal here.
> Not least it would ship needless DNS (and other?) traffic to IANA.
>
> I think the correct thing to use is the root zone,

And how do I say "the root zone" to my router?

That aside, it can't have the root zone, since local lookups won't work
properly (I would have thought).

> which should be used
> if neither the "domain" or "search" lines are present in resolv.conf (AIUI).
>
> The logic being that these exist to tell the resolver where to assume a
> name may be based if it isn't in the root zone. A device that doesn't
> know what domain it is in, should only try the fully qualified name (as
> if it were in the root zone).
>
> So I'd say try deleting the "search" line if you want no search.

Sure I can delete the search line- that's fine. But as soon as my dhcp
lease is renewed it comes back. The router has to be told to stop giving
out blank domains. The question is what domain should it be giving out
if I don't own one?

I was going to say that the simple solution would be to sign up for a
no-ip domain, but:
1. That's not always practical
and
2. no-ip doesn't have wildcard domains anymore, so again I think that
will cause problems with local lookups.