Re: [LUG] Ubuntu

On 30/09/2007, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is no such regulation - there may be local policies but it is not
illegal to have partitioning tools or installers on removable media.

It may not be illegal, but at DHSB running a livecd was one of the many ways one could get around the amusingly client-side RM security software. We weren't even allowed to run .exe files.

I think you have misinterpreted "stupid MSCEs covering their arses against people overriding the ludicrous security systems in place by prohibiting the use of anything but the established OS" as "the government prohibiting the entire nation to use livecds in schools".

And unfortunately, the legal obstacles are not FUD. Windows is still required at DHSB whether the teachers want it or not, for instance, because the registers are all run on OMR readers with windows-only drivers connected to computers running Windows-only software (SIMS, as mandated by the LEA.)

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~