Re: [LUG] Ubuntu

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:48:00 +0100
james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 11:12 +0100, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>
> > The install button and presence of partitioning  programs within Ubuntu [and
> > most  big distributions] prohibits it being used in school systems where any
> > CD must *not*  install to or *be capable of installing to* the desktop system
> > by regulation.
> Is this a legal contract? It sounds like a monopolistic clause to me. Is it a
> point where some leverage may be exerted?
> --
> james kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

Sounds more like an over-officious (deliberate/ignorant) misreading of
some arbitrary local guideline.

There is no such regulation - there may be local policies but it is not
illegal to have partitioning tools or installers on removable media.
Use of any computer system without the authorisation of the owner of
the equipment may be restricted but the details of what is authorised
and what is not is decided *locally*.

There is no country-wide legal prohibition of the use of removable
media regarding the presence or absence of installers or partitioning
tools. It simply wouldn't be workable. Any software can be deemed
unauthorised, just as any software can be deemed authorised - the
details of what is in which category is decided locally and therefore
needs to be challenged locally by increasing understanding and
awareness.

It's not hard to see why administrators would not be keen on
authorising installers and partitioning tools - Windows based
partitioning tools still have a reputation for mangling data and if a
PC is part of an organisation-wide IT network, the network admin (any
network admin) isn't going to be keen on all and sundry installing new
software - whether that is a new game or a new OS. To dress this up as
a "regulation" or "legal obstacle" is just FUD.

--

Neil Williams