Re: [LUG] Dummy domain names and other DNS questions

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:12:29AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
>> Are blank domains allowed under the dns/dhcp specifications? If not, is
>> there a recognised 'dummy domain'?
>
> example.{org,net,com}, or "invalid".

They are intended for examples, and do resolve, so aren't ideal here.
Not least it would ship needless DNS (and other?) traffic to IANA.

I think the correct thing to use is the root zone, which should be used
if neither the "domain" or "search" lines are present in resolv.conf (AIUI).

The logic being that these exist to tell the resolver where to assume a
name may be based if it isn't in the root zone. A device that doesn't
know what domain it is in, should only try the fully qualified name (as
if it were in the root zone).

So I'd say try deleting the "search" line if you want no search.

Is there a standard regards "localdomain" I wonder?

It is possible that with no search or domain line, some resolvers will
pick up the dnsdomainname for the box, and use that, which is normally
what people want, but not useful here by the sounds of it. Resolvers are
weird, and vary slightly between different OSes, but the GNU/Linux ones
ought to be mostly consistent.

As regards /etc/hosts, Debian defaults to something like

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain <hostname>

I've forgotten what happens when there are multiple lines the same, but
if you have laptop I doubt it will hurt to play. I know I've always used
aliases (as above) rather than duplicate lines, so I expect it hurts
somewhere, as I did play with this once myself.