Re: [LUG] ekiga - open voip

Terry Hill wrote:
> I'm just installing it and waiting for my confirmation email ;)
>
> I've tried a few of these things so I'm interested to see what the
> quality is like and if it supports conferencing.  Conferencing might
> be useful for the group I guess.

Ekiga was Gnome Meeting.

A few of us had a play a while back.

Mostly I think we discovered that configuring sound to work correctly
under Linux is way too hard on most distros.

Basically to get it to work well you need to persuade all the
applications into using ALSA, then you want to hope that your sound card
(and driver) allows hardware mixing (because the software mixing is lousy).

We tried the other free software SIP clients, and I think Ekiga is both
the easiest, and the best.

If you have a decent and correctly configured audio subsystem it
basically "Just works", but that is a surprisingly big if. Then again if
you are using the desktop for a reasonable amount of audio it is worth
configuring it all to use ALSA correctly, as then everything shares the
sound card nicely. I hope that the more user friendly distros do a
better job with sounds configuration, but I know the last Ubuntu box I
looked at made it a nightmare still.