Re: [LUG] Windows updates

Neil Stone wrote:
> Terry Hill wrote:
>> On 15/09/2007, Philip Whateley <philip.whateley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>>
>> Unless I guess, m$ can claim you have given them permission somehow...
>
> EULA probably..

The EULA in Windows (since around XP SP1 I think) makes it quite clear
that you authorise Microsoft to install and update software as they see fit.

Whilst I think there is something of a trust issue involved, this is
updating Windows update, when you run Windows update.

I think there are bigger "trust" issues around.

I mean how many people realised that by installing Google toolbar they
were telling Google every site they visit in their web browser? I know
it is there in the small print, and it can be disabled, but I think few
people realised.

Then there is the server side tracking. I mean who knows what 2o7.net do
with their data?

It is also a Windows issue, and I think there are more significant
Windows issues around, but they would be off topic here.