Re: [LUG] South Hams council asking for suggestions on how to save money

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:37:55PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
>> Aren't South Hams Council under Devon County Council?
>>
>> I very much doubt they've moved away from MS Office.  Devon County
>> Council was certainly a Microsoft shop when I was working there a couple
>> of years back and I expect things haven't changed.
>>
>> Then again, maybe they might have looked at how Bristol City Council
>> have implemented FLOSS.
>>

> 1/ South Hams are under Devon County Council
> 2/ I very much doubt they will move from MS at all rapidly
> 3/ Sooner or later someone is going to do a back of envelope cost /benefit study
> and wake up to the real savings in time and money
>
> The South Hams website is full of articles about how they want to save money and
> spend it more effectively. They are going to have to start thinking about their
> software decisions at some point

Hopefully they will do.  I bet a lot of those savings on M$ software
could be put to better uses, okay probably not really cheaper council
tax, but maybe spent on things like schools or other things in the area.

I was thinking actually, a talk on Free software and it's benefits might
be something that South Hams Radio might be interested in.

Rob