Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install taking ages

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> Quoting Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> One thing I've been curious about for a while is why ubuntu has
>>> different distro versions for different window managers/desktop
>>> environments. What happened to being able to install several and choose
>>> whichever one you wanted when logging in with xdm/kdm/gdm/whatever?
>>>

>> Maybe it's to cut down on the amount of CDs required?
>>
>> Rob
>>
> May be worth having a selection of ubuntu cd's available for install
> days,   so we can look at a spec of someones computer and decide the
> best one to use.
>
> Paul

How about maybe Ubuntu 6.06, Kubuntu 6.06, Xubuntu 6.06 and the latest
version of *Ubuntu?

If the PC spec is very old then it might be worth looking at something
like DSL or Puppy Linux? (or a custom Debian install?).

Could also be worth having a mirror server to speed up installs.  Not
sure how big the Ubuntu mirrors are but it might be worth looking into
this to save bandwith/time.

Rob