Re: [LUG] ooxml and explanations

On 05/09/07, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
100 years could be ambitious Paul - are we *really* sure that the forms
of digital media that we have now will survive that long and even if
they do, that we would have the equivalent of a gramophone today to be
able to read them?

The current trend is to make the compact disc obsolete within ten years, true. However, all major forms of storage media manufactured since (afaik) have used the 12cm format and been backward-compatible, which means that quite soon there will be affordable combi drives that handle the following:

CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW; DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, (dual layer variants of the above), HD-DVD, HD-DVD-R?, HD-DVD-RW?, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray-R, Blu-Ray-RW.

Some of that tech is approaching forty years old (I refer to laserdiscs, which are of course a 60s invention, before anyone points out that CDs are 25 years old.)

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~