Re: [LUG] Penzance Day and U7.04

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 18:01 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
(7.10 available)
> Thats good.  I hear there is going to be better support for wireless
> cards and other such devices.
I have an interesting problem to resolve which may give an insight into
how a new person might handle connecting.

I have a Draytek vigor 2600 router with a wired link to a Netgear
wireless relay for the other side of the granite wall.

I had no problem connecting to either with U6.06, although, I could not
see why it connected to the Draytek. U6.06 seemed to have a default
requirement of WEP. I had set the Draytek to no encryption so no
password (I am in the country with thick walls and 100m to the nearest
house) but it connected after a variable time (only on booting up
nearby).

U7.04 shows me a mini-window with symbols showing the default and
Netgear and the signal strength of each. It connects to the netgear with
no problem but will not connect to the Draytek. I tried applying WEP
with 64bit ASCII encryption, but I can not find a way for the settings
to be retained when I leave the security page. I will consult my son who
set it up for me and is familiar with this hardware.

Interesting that on first installing, without an internet connection, I
got no wireless connection with the Netgear, even though 2 others in the
house got it whilst visiting. Nor could they connect to the Draytek.

On updating using a wired connection, the Netgear became accessible.

This means that newbies need to update before using wireless. Has anyone
else seen this problem?
--
James Kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk