[LUG] Penzance Day and U7.04

Dear all

I have had an interesting time with Ubuntu 7.04 and upgrading from 6.06.
Before being able to offer it with some confidence to new folk, there
are still a couple of issues I want to resolve.

First, thanks for the advice about PCI. In some few spare moments in
time devoted to a greater priority, my friend used vi to change the
location from 0:2:0 to 1:0:0 but this did not work. He copied
the /.evolution folder and all its contents to an external hard drive
and I unzipped it over the earlier one on my desktop. Apart from an
error with the deleted item database which kept loading into the inbox
(disappeared when I emptied the deleted items) this meant I had updated
my inbox and the unsaved emails, many from this list.

I then installed on the laptop from the Live DVD OK after reformatting
the partition. Interesting to see the invitation to retain stuff which
was no longer available as it did not recognise the previous install.
(You will recall I upgraded online following the Ubuntu way of first
upgrading to 6.10 then to 7.04. It had done it in a surprising way -
6.10 OK then it offered me an update which turned out to be Kubuntu
7.04. On the way there was a choice to upgrade (original settings?) or
not. I may have said no the first time and yes the second.) This
suggests it is not so easy for the new person to upgrade online.
Upgrading from a Live dvd has been recommended on the List and I shall
follow suit.

I still have not resolved the cd multi-session issue. And my laptop
cannot run Audacity - it hangs and will not record or even close
properly. My desktop runs it fine.

I enjoyed finding Gnu Chess and Sudoku as well as Scribus in U7.04!

It would be helpful if members could confirm if they will come on
October 14th/28th to join in the fun; whether they will bring an
installed distro on a laptop; bring Live dvd's of some distro and be
prepared to at least talk about it, possibly install on one of the
desktops at the ecafe; point to relevant beginners' files/tips and
anything else that would help make the day(s) successful.

I will review the early thoughts and come back with proposed outlines of
the day and support materials helpful to the beginner.

Thanks to all who have made offers: please reconfirm them with what you
are prepared to input. If you prefer to do this off-list, I will
summarise the position at intervals for everyone. Then there's advance
notices, advertising posters etc, publicity of GNU/Linux in any form
with at least a mention of 14th/28th October and Penzance Computers and
so on.

Thanks
--
James Kilty