Re: [LUG] Clock problems

On 02/09/07, Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Even back then we were being told that the decimal system - not just money,
but measurements of distance and liquids, weights and so on - would be
introduced and that was what we needed to learn.

So it has been. Except the exceptions mentioned below...

So, many years later, we do use decimal coins, but all road signs are still im
miles, traffic speed restrictions are in miles per hour, we buy pints of beer
(and milk - even if they do have to put 56something ml on the packages to
claim they are not falling foul of EU regulations).

Actually, you don't buy pints of milk. You buy 568ml of milk in a pint-shaped container. Here lies the important distinction. I'm sure they'll be replaced with 500ml servings anyway...

Nobody I know works out their fuel consumption in l/km - they all use mpg.
I could rant for hours about this. I don't care less which system we use, but
we should use one or the other fully, not the mish-mash we have at the
moment!

Precisely. There is nothing empirically wrong with mpg, except for the fact that the gallon is both a national (e.g. varying country to country) and a non-used measure. Perhaps mi/l?

Final moan for tonight - why the hell have schools stopped teaching times
tables up to 12? They stop at 10 now - presumably decimalisation, but that
seems to be a relatively new introduction.

Decimalisation wouldn't do anything like that. You can still buy half a dozen eggs if you want (but they weigh around 600g.)
I suspect this scheme is just dumbing-down...
I learned my tables up to 12, but then I went to private school.

--
Benjamin F. Goodger
~ design and ideas lab ~