Re: [LUG] Clock problems

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:27:19 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Simon,

> correctly, decimalisation made this so much easier they had to
> introduce all that "new maths" to fill the gap in the examination.

Yes, I did simultaneous equations, binomials, and all sorts of weird
stuff.

> The first money thing I remember is Sherbet fountains being 7 new
> pence, which would have been around 1972. My whole pocket money, and

There was a lot of ripping off went on at the time of decimalisation.
In part, it was due to lack of understanding, but there were some
people that knew they were doing it.  It usually took the form of
crossing out the "d" (old penny) and replacing it with a "p" new
penny.  It only really worked for things priced in pennies, and had the
effect of doubling the cost (6d = 2.5p).

> pricing, as a child was subsequently computed in terms of an
> equivalent number of Sherbet fountains.

I used to get a tanner (6d) a week.  I found I could no longer afford
anything, really.  My pocket money went up to 5p (wow!) fairly shortly
after that.  That was early 1971, when I would have been ten.  I
started senior school in Sept 1971.  Pocket money leapt to 50p a week.

--
 Regards  _

Watching the people get lairy
I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs