Re: [LUG] LaTeX - can someone help please

I would start by downloading some of the excellent stuff on the web. The "Not so short Introduction to LaTeX2e" by Tobias Oetiker is good - it is on CTAN (Comprehensive TeX Archive Network) and elsewhere. There is a lot of other good stuff on the web too.

After that, if you want "treeware" try:

"Guide to LaTeX" 4ed by Kopka & Daley (Addison Wesley) 2004

Hope this helps

Phil Whateley

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 17:17 +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:
> I am trying to learn LaTex type setting language, but have hit a problem
>
> the software is installed fine,  and works, however I am getting the
> following error message
>

> l.42 {16 \div
>               18 \times 100 = 88.2 percent}
>
> lines 22 - 32 of my code are
>

> \begin{tabular}{|c|ccc|r|}
>     \hline
> $N$ &  Chemical    &   Formula  & Mass   & remarks  \\
>     \hline
> 1   & Sulphuric Acid & {H$_2$SO$_4$} & 98.0791 .  & g/mol \\
> 2   & Copper Sulphate & {CuSO$_4$} & 159.6095   & g/mol \\
>     \hline
> \end{tabular}
> \\
> \small
> Table shows Chemical formula, molar mass of common Chemicals.

Thanks,  for the help,  this error is fixed now,   I will look into some
gui packages for producing documents,  however I would like to also
learn the manual way so If I am ever stuck at a console, and need to
produce something, I can do.

as latex produces pdf output,  I can create a document from the command
line,  ok at present I am using kwrite to write the code,  but I could
easily use joe, vim or emacs or some other editor.

I am also looking at txt2tags,  so that should keep me busy too

does anyone have any recomendations for books on latex (amazon do some
sub £20 which look like they may fit the bill,  ideally there would be a
dummies guide or sams TYS in 24 hrs or 14 days,  type book.

thanks again

Paul