Re: [LUG] upgrade failure

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 09:47, James Kilty wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am being plunged into the deep end. I tried to upgrade from Ubuntu
> 6.06 to 6.10 as recommended then followed the next step which was to
> update using the update icon, which offered me kubuntu 7.04. In the end,
> I cannot get X Window so it all fails to open.
>
> This leaves me with 2 urgent problems. My second latest backup contains
> all my /.evolution files up to 22 June. In the backup before the
> changes, I forgot to copy all the files over, as it does not do this in
> the simple copy - only top level folders - empty. I have details of
> times to meet people in the next two days and cannot guarantee them
> getting my emails back. The second is the loss of dual boot so I cannot
> print my labels for an order I must fulfil today.
>
> The error messages are
> EE VESA(0) no matching nodes and
> EE Screen(s) found - none have a useable config
>
> During the install (of 150000 files) I often saw a series of warnings
> about X and fallback eventually to tty.
>
> I can use a U7.04 Live DVD and see all the files and presubably can in
> theory modify them, assuming I can get permission. If I ask it to
> install, it wants to reduce sda5 to 60%. If I do this, I may be able to
> access my /.evolution files and get my saved emails back. Is this the
> way forward or is there a way to get 7.04 to repair itself from a Live
> dvd?
>
> Thanks (in hope).
> --
> James Kilty
> http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk

Hi James,
Are you using a graphics card such as an nVidia one?
When I installed 7.04 (I never bother "upgrading" - I just backup and
re-install), I had a similar problem. It turned out that xorg had decided to
incorrectly set the screen location.
If you can get to the xorg.conf via a command line -

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and have a look for the line which says something like -

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"

        Driver          "yourcard"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        EndSection

Look at the BusID - if it is non-existant, or says something like
BusID   "PCI:0:5:0"

then edit it to say
BusID   "PCI:1:0:0"

On my 7.04 system it had set the BusID as the 0:5:0 entry, which is totally
incorrect - I believe it is a known issue with some cards and 7.04.

Mark