[LUG] upgrade failure

Dear all

I am being plunged into the deep end. I tried to upgrade from Ubuntu
6.06 to 6.10 as recommended then followed the next step which was to
update using the update icon, which offered me kubuntu 7.04. In the end,
I cannot get X Window so it all fails to open.

This leaves me with 2 urgent problems. My second latest backup contains
all my /.evolution files up to 22 June. In the backup before the
changes, I forgot to copy all the files over, as it does not do this in
the simple copy - only top level folders - empty. I have details of
times to meet people in the next two days and cannot guarantee them
getting my emails back. The second is the loss of dual boot so I cannot
print my labels for an order I must fulfil today.

The error messages are
EE VESA(0) no matching nodes and
EE Screen(s) found - none have a useable config

During the install (of 150000 files) I often saw a series of warnings
about X and fallback eventually to tty.

I can use a U7.04 Live DVD and see all the files and presubably can in
theory modify them, assuming I can get permission. If I ask it to
install, it wants to reduce sda5 to 60%. If I do this, I may be able to
access my /.evolution files and get my saved emails back. Is this the
way forward or is there a way to get 7.04 to repair itself from a Live
dvd?

Thanks (in hope).
--
James Kilty