Re: [LUG] Penzance Computers install and teach-in

james kilty wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Stephen Roddha at Penzance Computers has agreed to host our teach-ins at
> the Internet Cafe, 36b Market Jew St, Penzance on 28th October and 11th
> November. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Sounds good.

> I will co-ordinate planning and preparation with Mike (stinga) and
> Stephen Roddha (owner) from early September. All are welcome to
> contribute and/or attend. A few laptops with different distros would be
> good. The aim is to have available cd/dvd's of different distros for
> "purchase", suitable instruction to take away (perhaps on the discs),

I think you should print the instructions off though rather than putting
them on the disc (I assume you mean a file on the disc) which would mean
lots of hassle remastering discs.  If you include printed instructions
you don't need to worry about the purchaser printing off the instructions.

I'm writing up some Ubuntu Feisty installation instructions (both fresh
install and dual boot with Windows)  When they are done I'll let you
know.  I'm sure I should be able to put them on the Wiki.

> demonstration of installs, individual support to install on either one
> of Pz Computer's machines or laptops they have brought in, and
> individual questions - which is where many members would be good (I know
> at least 2 members besides us want to come) - perhaps with an overall
> introduction. The second session would be to assist further regarding
> problems and repeat for the flood of new people attracted by word of
> mouth. We have no idea of the likely entry standard so need to be
> prepared for more than beginners and would-be users and all the standard
> issues/problems.

Maybe you could offer a personal visit to do an install too for those
visitors who are interested in switching but can't actually get their
computers to the event.

> We can talk about publicity, advertising, radio, newspapers, interviews
> and so on later. I am sure it would be helpful if members (not
> necessarily coming to the day) used to TV, radio etc. would volunteer to
> be interviewed about GNU/Linux and the DC Group. More in September. Also
> mention the install days on any future event/publicity/specials.

I can certainly mention it to my contact at Atlantic Radio.  I know
someone at Westcounty TV (a researcher for their Biteback programme).
She may be interested as they recently did a story on computer security
(spam, phishing e-mails etc).

I've been looking into getting some of the Ubuntu-UK leaflets
professionally printed.  There seems to be a bit of interest on the
Ubuntu-UK mailing list.  Works out at about 7p a leaflet for 2,500 and
5p a leaflet for 5,000.  I was suggesting to the Ubuntu-UK list about
maybe 10 or 20 of us chipping in some money (£17.50 if it's 10 of us,
and £12.50 if it's 20 of us) to buy a bulk load of professionally
printed leaflets.

Other than that we could probably come up with an A5 black and white
leaflet which could be printed cheap on a standard laser printer.

Rob