Re: [LUG] permissions and potential new user

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 23:51, Rob Beard wrote:
> Mark Jose wrote:
> > You will find the cd/dvd drive in /media on a (K)Ubuntu system. It is
> > going to be called cdrom (which is actually a symlink to cdrom0).  The
> > device path will be /dev/hdc, not hda which is usually reserved for hard
> > disks.
>
> Well that depends, if the PC has a Serial ATA hard drive then it is
> quite possible the CD/DVD drive is on /dev/hda

Gah, these new fangled devices! When I was a lad....  ;)
Yes, I admit that a machine with SATA drives may name the first IDE device it
discovers (i.e the cd/dvd drive) as hda.  I hadn't thought of that - but then
I don't have SATA drives!
It may be worth just nosing in /etc/fstab and seeing what that shows for the
address of the cd/dvd drive.

Mark