Re: [LUG] Ethernet Router- recommendations?

Dave Foxcroft wrote:
> I've got one of these - Linksys RT31P2-UK
>
> According to the data sheet here:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1119591402181&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0218156327B05
>
> There are 3 10/100 RJ45 LAN ports and 1 10/100 RJ45 Internet port - it
> has the bonus(if you want to call it that) of having 2 RJ11 VoIP (SIP
> v2) Ports.
>
> I have it hooked up to a Linksys modem and I've never had a problem with
> it (or any other Linksys kit for that matter)
>
> I paid £12 for it brand new in the box from ebay - a bargain

I eventually found what section to look in to find routers without
modems: "cable/DSL routers"

So I looked at a few on ebay and checked all the datasheets and
eventually ended up with a Linksys BEFSR41. Which, according to the
datasheet, has 4 10/100 ports for the switch and 1 10/100 port for
internet. The datasheet was wrong. The "internet" port is only capable
of 10mbps (6mbps actually). I was not happy to say the least, having
spent ages trying to find one with a 100mbps internet port only discover
that not even all those labelled as 100mbps capable really are. How in
the world does anyone get hold of what I'm looking for?

I've taken it up with linksys and they should be replacing it with one
that actually does what it's datasheet says. Unbelievable.