Re: [LUG] Ethernet Router- recommendations?

Simon Williams wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good ethernet router?
>
> I need it for uni next year- at the moment I have 4 network cards in my
> PC and I'm using that, but I need to be able to get to the internet with
> my laptop when my PC is off. I can only have one device connected to the
> university network at a time, so I need to hide them behind a NAT.
>
> The problem is that most routers have an ADSL modem built in, and all
> the ones I find that don't only have a 10Mbps connection to the outside,
> which is fine for internet, but I need the full 100Mbps connection to
> other devices on the university network.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Simon

I've got one of these - Linksys RT31P2-UK

According to the data sheet here:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1119591402181&packedargs=site%3DUS&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0218156327B05

There are 3 10/100 RJ45 LAN ports and 1 10/100 RJ45 Internet port - it
has the bonus(if you want to call it that) of having 2 RJ11 VoIP (SIP
v2) Ports.

I have it hooked up to a Linksys modem and I've never had a problem with
it (or any other Linksys kit for that matter)

I paid £12 for it brand new in the box from ebay - a bargain

Dave